Email: vuongle2 (at) ifp.uiuc.edu (or) gmail.com
My technical interest is on the range of image and video processing, machine learning and computer vision. I have been especially invested my time in building models and algorithms to accurately recognize 3D shapes and motions from RGB-D signals. Applications of these works include animation and biometrics such as detecting and recognizing human emotions and actions in images and videos. Recently I am more involved with object detection and recognition in industrial camera systems.
I secured a PhD of Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign in 2014. I am currently with Amazon in Seattle on an undisclosed project. We are working on a distributed system using a wide range of computer vision and image processing techniques in an initiative aiming at providing unique customer experience.
· June 2016: Our Patent with HP “3D modeling motion parameters” is granted.
· March 2016: Our book “Face Processing and Applications to Distance Learning” is on the shelves! Check it out: https://www.amazon.com/Face-Processing-Applications-Distance-Learning/dp/9814733024
· December 2015: Two more patents granted: “Adjusting a contour by a shape model” and “Fitting contours to features”
3D face processing for animation and biometrics (funded by Intel, Microsoft, Cisco)
Avacholar - Visual Applications Framework in Immersive Virtual Educational Environments
Cloud-based simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM) for reconstruction of 3D scenes using RGB-D data (with HP labs)
Fast scalable multi-pole algorithm for efficient fitting of RBF implicit embedding to the noisy scattered 3D point cloud.
Human action recognition classifier using shape features
· 3D modeling motion parameters. Vuong Le, Wei Hong, Kar-Han Tan, John Apostolopoulos – 2016, US Patent 9,286,717
· Adjusting a contour by a shape model. Jonathan W. Brandt, Zhe Lin, Vuong Le, Lubomir D. Bourdev – 2015, US Patent 9,202,138
· Fitting contours to features. Jonathan W. Brandt, Zhe Lin, Lubomir D. Bourdev, Vuong Le – 2015, US Patent 9,158,963
· Methods and Apparatus for Automated Portrait Retouching Using Facial Feature Localization. Jonathan Brandt, Zhe Lin, Vuong Le – 2014, US Patent 8,811,686
· Methods and Apparatus for Automated Facial Feature Localization. Jonathan Brandt, Zhe Lin, Vuong Le – 2014, US Patent 8,824,808
· Vuong Le, Usman Tariq, Pooya Khorrami, Hao Tang, Thomas S. Huang, Face processing and Applications to Distance Learning, World Scientific Publishing Company, 2016. Monograph, ISBN: 9789814733021
· Dennis Lin, Vuong Le, Thomas S. Huang, Human-Computer Interaction (Book chapter), in Visual Analysis of Humans: Looking at People, Springer 2011
· Antoni Liang, Wanquan Liu, Ling Li, Mir Rizwan Farid, Vuong Le, Accurate Facial Landmarks Detection for Frontal Faces with Extended Tree-Structured Models. ICPR 2014
· Thomas Huang, Vuong Le, Thomas Paine, Pooya Khorrami, Usman Tariq, Visual Media: History and Perspectives, IEEE Multimedia, April - June 2014
· Pooya Khorrami, Vuong Le, John C. Hart, Thomas S. Huang: A System for Monitoring the Engagement of Remote Online Students, ICMEWorkshop 2014
· Vuong Le, Jonathan Brandt, Lubomir Boudev, Zhe Lin, Thomas S. Huang, Interactive Facial Feature Localization, European conference on computer vision ECCV 2012
· Vuong Le, Hao Tang, Thomas S. Huang, Expression Recognition from 3D Dynamic Faces using Robust Spatio-temporal Shape Features, International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition – FGR 2011
· Usman Tariq, Kai-Hsiang Lin, Zhen Li, Xi Zhou, Zhaowen Wang, Vuong Le, Thomas S. Huang, Xutao Lv, Tony X. Han: Emotion recognition from an ensemble of features - FGR 2011
· Vuong Le, Hao Tang, Liangliang Cao, Thomas S. Huang, Accurate and Efficient Reconstruction of 3D Faces From Stereo Images, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 2010 -ICIP 2010
· Vuong Le, Yuxiao Hu, Thomas S. Huang, A Quantitative Evaluation for 3D Face Reconstruction Algorithms, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 2009 - ICASSP 2009
· Mert Dikmen, Huazhong Ning, Dennis J. Lin, Liangliang Cao, Vuong Le, Shen-Fu Tsai, Kai-Hsiang Lin, Zhen Li, Jianchao Yang, Thomas S. Huang, Fengjun Lv, Wei Xu, Ming Yang, Kai Yu, G. Zhu, Yihong Gong, Surveillance Event Detection, TRECVID 2008