Work Address: 2323, Beckman Institute,
405, N. Mathews Av.
Phone No: 217-244-2960
Fax No: 217-244-8371
Web Page: http://www.ifp.uiuc.edu/~ashutosh
PhD in Electrical
and Computer Engineering,
Dissertation title: Learning in High dimensional spaces: Applications, Theory and Algorithms.
Thomas S. Huang; Co-Advisor:
1998-2000 M.S. in Electrical and Computer
Thesis title: Multimodal Speaker detection using dynamic Bayesian networks.
Advisor: Thomas S. Huang
B. Tech in
Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology,
Thesis title: Gesture Based Remote Visualization.
Advisors: Santanu Choudhury and Subhasish Banerjee
Jun 1998 – present Research Assistant
Beckman Institute for Advance Science and Technology
Prof. Thomas S. Huang and Prof.
· Working on Probabilistic and statistical Learning techniques including SVMs, Bayesian Networks, HMM and Daynamic Bayesian networks with applications to video analysis, activity recognition and speech recognition.
· Developed theoretical understanding of many learning algorithms in a unified framework (PAC based, VC-dimension based and probabilistic algorithms)
May 2002-Aug 2002 Research Intern
Watson Research Lab,
· Developed an audio-visual speech recognizer. Introduced a variation of Factorial HMM for modeling the frame level reliability indicators in a multistream HMM framework for AVSR. Developed a theoretical justification of stream weights using mutual information criterion and showed that improved performance can be obtained for the task of AVSR by using frame level reliability indicators.
May 2001-Aug 2001 Research Intern
· Developed a Hierarchical framework for detecting events in an office scenario. Hidden Markov Models are used in discriminative fashion to model temporal events (based on multiple modalities – audio, video and pc activity) to detect events at different levels of temporal abstraction. The system was presented as part of the Bill Gates keynote address at the International Joint Conference of Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI’01). Results published at ICMI’02, CVPR’01
May 2000-Aug 2000 Research Intern
· Annotation of the Human genome (chromosome 22) and Drosophilae (fruit fly) data using mixture of experts framework and input/output Hidden Markov Model. A novel I/OHMM based mixture of experts model is developed that can be used to combine the output of the temporal sequences to improve the classification performance. Presented at Computational Genomics’00 and Journal of Bio-Informatics.
May 1999-Aug 1999 Research Intern
· Developed a Multimodal Speaker Detection system using Dynamic Bayesian Networks. Introduced the framework of “Error feedback DBN” for fusing the information from different modalities. Excellent results for the task of speaker detection were obtained using this model. Presented at CVPR’00, ICMI’00, FG’00.
May 1997-May 1998 Research and Development Engineer
· Worked on HW/SW Co-Verification tool (EAGLEI). Developed processor models for various processors like Hitachi SH3, OakDSP. Worked on Binary Decision Diagrams for cycle based Verilog simulator.
Aug 2002-Dec 2002 Teaching Assistant for Graduate course on Image processing (ECE447) , UIUC
· Gave lectures on Fractal Image coding, Designed homeworks and machine problems, graded them, had regular office hours.
Jan 2002-May 2002 Teaching Assistant for Graduate/Undergraduate course on Multimedia Signal Processing (ECE371TSH), UIUC
· Was involved in designing the course including the course content, structure, reference books, problem sets and machine problems. Gave lectures on Bayesian networks, hidden markov models and had regular office hours.
Aug 2000 – Dec 2000 Teaching Assistant for Graduate course on Image processing (ECE447) , UIUC
· Gave lectures on hidden markov models. Designed homeworks and machine problems, graded them, had regular office hours.
AWARDS and HONORS
· Robert T. Chien award for excellence in research in Electrical and Computer Engineering department at UIUC for the year 2003.
· Nomination for the Best paper award in the conference – Algorithmic Learning Theory’01 (Paper is adjudged as one of the top 3 papers of the conference).
· IBM Research Fellowship for the year 2001-2002.
· Presented the system (which was build by me at Microsoft Research) as part of the Key Note address given by Bill Gates at the International joint conference of Artificial Intelligence’01.
· Best Project of the year (1996-97) Award by IIT Delhi.
· ICMI Stay Ahead Award (1996-97) by IIT Delhi for the best project in Electrical and Computer Science department.
· 3rd Rank in Entrance examination for the regional engineering colleges (out of 200,000 applicants)
to give lectures at
percentile in the GATE’97 (Graduate aptitude test in Engineering)
conducted by IITs and
· Highest ranking in exit review while doing summer internship at Microsoft Research.
ranking in exit review while doing summer internship at Schlumberger Inc (
· Program Committee member for ICML’2003.
· Program Co-chair “Very Low Bitrate Video Coding Workshop” (VLBV’98) held at Beckman Institute, UIUC.
· Student Member IEEE and member Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
· Reviewer of IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI) and many other International Vision conferences including FG’2000, CVPR’2000, ICPR’2000, ICIP’2000, ICCV’2001, ICML’2002.
· A brief introduction to Bayesian Networks, Mar’2001, IIT Delhi, India.
· Event Detection and Conditional Entropic HMM, Aug’2002, Avaya Research Lab, NJ.
· Event Detection and Mutual information HMM, Aug’2002, Mitsubishi Electric Research Lab, NJ.
Introduction to Support Vector Machines,
Activity Detection in office Environments,
Nov’2002, Institute of Automation,
1. V. Pavlovic, Ashutosh
Journal Papers (Refreed)
2. Ashutosh Garg,
5. Ashutosh Garg,
6. Ashutosh Garg,
7. Ashutosh Garg,
8. Ashutosh Garg,
Conference Papers (Refereed)
9. Ashutosh Garg, Ardaman Singh, Santanu Choudhury, Subhashish Banerjee, “A Gesture Based Interface for Remote Robot Control,” Proc of IEEE TENCON’98.
10. Ashutosh Garg,
12. Ashutosh Garg, V. Pavlovic, J. Rehg, T. S. Huang, "Integrated Audio/Visual Speaker Detection using Dynamic Bayesian Networks," Proc. of 4th International Conference on Face and Gesture" (FG’2000).
18. Nicu Sebe,
Refereed Workshop Papers
30. Ashutosh Garg,
31. Ashutosh Garg,
33. Ashutosh Garg,